The ability to handle all these stressful feelings and take control of your emotions is of extreme importance for your overall health and well-being. Read on to discover 7 simple and useful tips on how to deal with anxiety and achieve mental peace and tranquility.
1. Make Sure You are Getting Enough Magnesium, Potassium and Vitamin B
- Magnesium and potassium deficiency can cause many serious problems, including insomnia and anxiety. Try adding to your diet more foods that contain these precious minerals.
- Increase your vitamin B daily intake, by eating vitamin B rich foods or taking vitamin B dietary supplements.
Vitamin B is extremely important for your nervous system – it calms the nerves, relaxes the muscles, reduces insomnia and anxiety, and increases mental alertness.
2. Analyze Your Anxieties and Take Action
Don’t ignore your anxieties – face them! Try to figure out whether or not there is a valid reason behind them, or if they are just caused by unnecessary and imaginary worries.
If your anxieties are justified, take action immediately and don’t postpone solving the problem. Whatever troubles your mind, don’t hide your head in the sand and don’t ignore the problem. Work instead on finding solutions and putting them into practice. Don’t let anxiety take control of your life!
3. Ditch Caffeine, Alcohol and Cigarettes
Coffee, caffeine containing sweets, alcohol, and cigarettes can overexcite your nervous system and increase anxiety symptoms. They may cause palpitations, jitters, shakiness, muscle tension and insomnia.
Opt for calming herbal teas and drink them on a regular basis, several times a day.
4. Practice Relaxation Techniques
Another great way to deal with anxiety is to practice relaxation techniques.
To ward off tension, fear and worries, we need to activate the body’s natural relaxation response. This can be done by practicing meditation, yoga, deep breathing and stretching. All these techniques will have many beneficial effects on your body, mind and spirit, and improve your overall health.
5. Exercise, Eat Well and Get Enough Sleep
- Regular exercising can help reduce stress, tension and anxiety. In fact, physical activity and sports can help your brain release chemicals known as endorphins, which have mood enhancing properties.
All exercises are good, but it is always better to opt for more relaxing activities such as tai chi, dancing, walking or swimming.
- Hunger, overeating, and bad dietary habits can also greatly contribute to anxiety. Examine your diet, talk to a nutritionist if necessary, and include more potassium, magnesium and vitamin B containing foods in your regular diet.
- Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. A good night’s sleep will have many beneficial effects on your nervous system. If you suffer from insomnia, help yourself with herbal remedies – certain herbs contain natural compounds that have the ability to sooth nerves and induce relaxation.
6. Take a Break Once in a While
Another great technique to deal with anxiety is to take regular breaks from your work and from your daily routine. Once in a while, you need to stop everything you are doing, shut down the computer, turn off your phone, and postpone your responsibilities, duties and obligations for a few hours. The world will not come crashing down if you do it!
Not taking breaks can cause a gradual buildup of stress and tension, and increase your anxiety symptoms. Stepping back from your daily routine can instead refresh your mind, clear your head and relax uptight nerves.
7. Find Distractions, Socialize and Treat Yourself
- Find distractions that will not allow you to dwell on your worries and problems. Starting a new hobby, sport, or course will greatly reduce your anxiety symptoms and fill your mind with positive thoughts. Whether it will be dancing, cooking, painting, hiking, swimming, reading or even making love, it will certainly help you a lot in dealing with anxiety.
- Socialize with other people. Organize dinners, invite them over and go out as much as possible. Being alone and thinking over your problems will only feed your anxiety and make you feel more nervous and depressed.
- Treat yourself to a soothing full body massage, an aromatherapy session, or some other spa service. Go to a concert or to a nice restaurant, buy yourself a new dress, book or perfume, or do anything else that makes you feel happy and relaxed. Start dedicating more time to yourself, as you are the most important person in your life. Having self respect will help you deal with your anxiety in a different way.
Hopefully this post will help you reduce anxiety and achieve more calmness and tranquility. Please, let us know and share your experiences with us in the comment section below.