Inserting a tampon for the first time is not as difficult and scary as it may sound! Tampons are a safe, easy-to-use and healthy alternative to sanitary pads, and when inserted properly they will not cause any discomfort or pain.
The following instructions on how to insert a tampon properly are meant to help you relax and make your first insertion easier and less frightening.
The best time for inserting the tampon for the first time is during the heavy time of your period. This will allow the tampon to glide more easily inside your vagina.
1. Wash your hands and unwrap the tampon. The larger tube that holds the tampon is the part that will be inserted inside the vagina, while the smaller bottom tube (the one with the string hanging out) will serve to push the tampon in.
2. Relax. If your muscles are tense, the insertion will be harder.
3. Choose the position that is most comfortable for you to insert the tampon. You may sit, stand or squat, but you should always keep your legs slightly spread. If you stand, you can place one foot on the toilet seat, tub or chair.
4. Now, look at the tampon. You will see grooved rings at the bottom of the larger, outer tube, exactly at the point where it meets the smaller, inner tube. Place your thumb and your middle finger on these rings and hold the applicator firmly, with the tip of the outer tube facing your body. The tube with the cord hanging out should be pointed in the other direction, away from your body.
5. Use your other hand to open the labia (the folds of skin around the vaginal opening), and place the tip of the larger tube at the opening of your vagina.
6. The vagina slants upward and toward the back of your body. So, gently push the applicator inside, aiming for the smaller back. Stop when the outer tube is completely inside the vagina, and your fingers touch your vaginal opening.
7. Now, use your index finger to delicately push the smaller, inner tube through the outer tube until it is completely inside it. This pushes the tampon out of the outer tube and into your vagina.
8. Remove your index finger from the tip of the inner tube and make sure the string hangs freely.
9. With your thumb and your middle finger gently remove both tubes from the vagina. Make sure again that the string is visible, accessible and freely hanging out of your vaginal opening.
10. To remove the tampon, gently and steadily pull the withdrawal strings down and forward, at the same angle at which the tampon was inserted. The used tampon can be flushed down the toilet.
11. Once you’ve removed the tubes, and if the tampon has been inserted properly, you should not feel anything.
If you however feel uncomfortable, that means that the tampon hasn’t been inserted correctly and that it has not been placed far enough into the vaginal canal. If this happens, take it out, relax and try inserting a new, fresh tampon a little bit deeper into the vagina.
1. Change your tampon at least every 4 to 6 hours, and use a pad at night if you sleep more than 6 hours.
2. Always wash your hands before and after changing your tampon.
3. Don’t use tampons to absorb your vaginal discharge – they are designed only for absorbing the menstrual flow.
4. Always remember to remove the old tampon before inserting the new one!
5. Make sure to choose the proper tampon absorbency, according to your flow. Wear smaller size tampons during light flow and bigger tampons when your menstrual flow is heavy.
6. A very small number of women (less than 2 percent) are born with a very small opening in their hymen, which prevents them from inserting tampons. If this is your case, you should consult your doctor, for he will be able to help you.
Following the above mentioned tips will help you avoid developing TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome), which is a very rare but quite dangerous infection. It can occur in both men and women, but it mostly affects women who wear tampons
The tampon itself does not cause TSS, but if left inside the vagina for a longer period of time, it may provide a friendly (warm and moist) environment for the growth of different types of bacteria. Staphylococcus aureus is one of them, and it is the bacterium that causes TSS.
As we have just mentioned, TSS is a very rare illness, but it is however good to learn to recognize its symptoms. The most important ones include: a sudden high fever, a sunburn-like rash, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches and dizziness.
1. According to medical science, a girl cannot lose her virginity with a tampon, but only with an erected penis inserted inside the vagina.
2. A tampon cannot get lost inside your abdomen or your body – it stays in your vagina, because your cervix blocks the way.
3. You are not too young to wear tampons if you have already started your period.
Hopefully this post has helped you become more comfortable with tampons. Let us know.
Jessica is a translator who has lived for many years in Asia and South America. She now lives and works in Europe, while preparing her new journeys. She enjoys traveling, meeting new people, exploring different cultures and foods, and being in love.
There’s a difference between someone being imperfect and being very disrespectful. Here’re some relationship red flags to watch out for when dating someone.
Getting ready for a date can be quite nerve-wracking, which is why we decided to reveal you secret tips that will help you achieve the perfect date makeup.
Social media is here to stay but are your habits jeopardizing your relationship? It can be quite difficult to spot the signs. Read on to find out more.
You don’t become a clingy girlfriend overnight and you definitely won’t become less clingy in an instant. Learn how to be less clingy by reading our 9 tips.
Every woman wants to look and feel her best, but it takes time and practice to learn what works. We’ll teach you how to prepare for a date from head to toe.
Every woman likes to feel beautiful and there’s no better way to do it than to invest in the appearance of your skin. We’ll teach you how to get soft skin.
Discover the reasons why men like older women and why they find them sexier than the younger ones. Here are the top 10. Use them to your advantage!
Would you like to be rich and successful? Or to have a new car, new home, to start a family? What's stopping you? Here's how to start living your dream life