I remember the days when we used to sit around for hours and make mixed tapes of songs for the person we were crushing on. Sometimes we’d record songs from other cassette tapes, and sometimes we’d wait for our favorite song to play on the radio.
Finding the perfect love song isn’t easy. In fact, I spent three days on this list (which I thought would only take me about three minutes). There are so many songs that seem like good love songs, but the lyrics then turn into break-up songs. You don’t want to sing your guy a break-up song, right?
Also, I know how difficult it can be to find the perfect gift for you guy. Roses and chocolates just don’t seem appropriate for a boyfriend, do they?
If you’re looking for a great gift for your guy, then making him a mixed tape (or CD) of love songs this Valentine’s Day is probably the best way to go. Of course, you can also just pick a few songs and serenade him outside his window. This is my list of great love songs to dedicate to your boyfriend.
1) I Will Always Love You – Dolly Parton or Whitney Houston
2) When I Fall in Love – Nat King Cole
3) Can't Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli
4) Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Diana Ross
5) Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
6) Alone – Heart
7) Glory of Love – Peter Cetera
8) Everything I Do (I do it For You) – Bryan Adams
9) 1,000 Oceans – Tori Amos
10) You are the Sun – Lionel Ritchie
11) Breathe – Faith Hill
12) Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves
13) I Want to Hold Your Hand – The Beatles
14) Until it Beats No More – J. Lo
15) Your Song – Elton John
16) Because You Loved Me – Celine Dion
17) Crazy – Patsy Cline
18) Forever and Ever Amen – Randy Travis
19) I would do Anything for Love – Meatloaf
20) All of Me – Frank Sinatra
21) Saving All my Love for You – Whitney Houston
22) I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing – Aerosmith
23) Take My Breath Away – Berlin
24) Baby Baby – Amy Grant
25) Lovesong – The Cure
26) Love Song – Tesla
27) Like a Virgin – Madonna
28) I Got You Babe – Sonny and Cher
29) At Last – Etta James
30) In Your Room – The Bangles
31) Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
32) Annie’s Song – John Denver
33) Young and Beautiful – Lana Del Rey
34) Total Eclipse of the Heart – Bonnie Tyler
35) I can’t fight this feeling anymore – REO Speedwagon
36) Love Story – Taylor Swift
37) Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
38) Be my Baby – The Ronettes
39) Little Bit – Lykke Li
40) Yellow – Coldplay
41) I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You – Elvis
42) I think I love you – The Partridge Family
43) Hooked on a Feeling – Blue Swede
44) You’re the First, My Last, My Everything – Barry White
45) Earth Angel – The Temptations (a GREAT Remake was done by Deathcab for Cutie!)
46) Love me Do – The Beatles
47) Love me Tender – Elvis
48) You are So Beautiful – Joe Cocker
49) Close to You – The Carpenters
50) Unchained Melody – The Rightous Brothers
51) I want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
52) Baby I love Your Way – Peter Frampton
53) And I Love You So – Perry Como
54) Drive By – Train
55) As Long as You Love Me – Backstreet Boys
56) Have I Told You Lately – Van Morrison
57) He’s So Fine – The Chiffons
58) Can You Feel the Love Tonight – Elton John
59) Spend My Life – Slaughter
60) Crazy for You – Madonna
I know, there are so many other songs that I could have listed, so why THESE songs? I like these songs. These are the songs most of us grew up with, and we know and love the lyrics. The real question is what can you do with this list?
I suggest picking out a good set of songs from the list and stringing them in some kind of chronological order. For instance, you can have a couple of songs that describe how you felt when you first met your boyfriend, a few songs that describe what it felt like when you were falling in love, and a few songs that describe your undying devotion to him now.
You can put them on a CD and leave it in his car for him to find, or you can upload your chosen tracks to his laptop music library. You can even go old school and make him a mixed tape (the labor of love should not go unnoticed here).
The greatest thing about music is that even though people might be listening to the same song, each person has a different meaning they attach to it while they’re listening to it. I think I have a song for every love of my life, and even now, when I hear any of those songs, I feel those old emotions pulling at me. Sometimes those emotions are painful, but most of the time those songs bring back wonderful memories.
Giving your guy a collection of love songs will not only be a sweet Valentine’s Day surprise, but it will affect him for many years to come. He’ll think of you every time he hears one of your songs, he’ll remember the way you danced together when he listens to the soft music you played for him. This is the perfect gift to give to your man and a gift that will last him a lifetime of memories.
Other than the songs I’ve put on this list, tell me, what romantic songs do you think you’ll play for your lover?