Marilyn Monroe stood for what she believed in, and she lived the life that she tried to teach others. That’s right: one of the biggest sex icons of her time—and who is still seen as sexy and beautiful—was not only known for her stunning looks, but also for what she taught people. Here are some of her best life lessons.
1. “Keep smiling, because life’s a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.”
Even Marilyn Monroe faced struggles and hardships in life, but she always remembered to smile and make the best out of life. If she could not change the bad, then she managed to deal with it and still enjoy the smile worthy things in life.
2. “A career is wonderful, but you can’t curl up with it on cold nights.”
In our day and age, this is crucial to remember. Don’t let work get in the way of one of the most important parts of life: having that one special person to share it with you. Work is work, but a person whom you can talk to and be with is more important. Remember to keep your priorities in life straight, to make time for your life and not to be work oriented.
3. “Some things fall apart so that better things can fall together.”
Remember, when one door closes, another opens and things happen for a reason. As clichéd as this may sound, it is true. Just because something bad happens, it doesn’t mean the world stops; it still keeps going and you have to keep trying in order to succeed.
4. “I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.”
Live for yourself: it is your life to live, so don’t spend time pleasing others or doing what is expected of you. Do what you enjoy and conquer it for yourself, not for anyone else.
5. “I’m good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I’m not the devil.”
This sums up life as we know it: no one is not perfect. We are just who we are and we should embrace that, we all have a good and bad side to us, and in a way they complement each other. Embrace who you are as a person: the good and bad in us are like ying and yang; they are balanced and make us who we are.
6. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
Be who you are, and be proud of that; don’t follow social norms or be a cookie cutter person. Embrace everything about yourself, and don’t be mundane. Stand out, and beat your own drum. Marilyn said this best: there is no better way to sum it up other than to live for yourself and live by this lesson of hers.
7. “I want to grow old without a facelift. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made.”
Marilyn was not only confident with her natural beauty, but she was also staying true to the life she was living and the life she believed and encouraged. She wanted to be herself and to stay true to herself; this is something that we should all live by.
8. “I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”
Be with a person who loves you for you, for who you are no matter what, and who will be there for you. Life isn’t always perfect and pretty: it can get rough, so don’t choose a person who is only there for the good. Be with a person who deserves to be with you because they stand by you and are your teammate in life.
9. “We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid so are regrets.”
Most people put their lives on hold, and never actually get to do what they dreamed of. Don’t be afraid to take a chance and have the life you want to have. You only live once, so make it count, start to live and don’t let life pass you by.
10. “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.”
Marilyn was right about this. The person in your life, who is possibly ‘The One,’ shouldn’t only thrill you sexually. They should also be able to sweep you off your feet by just being themselves with you, or by small romantic gestures, and by being in the moment with you. The real lover is a person who will make your day just by spending time with you.
11. “If I’d observed all the rules, I’d never have gotten anywhere.”
This is also true. Rules are made to be broken (at least the less severe ones). Life is about taking risks: if you have to break rules to be happy and enjoy life, then you should. Don’t be afraid to cause some rifts and waves; make sure you get to where you want in life.
Marilyn is known for a lot more than her eternal beauty: she is also known for being a strong and independent woman who was not afraid to be herself or to enjoy life. Despite her life being cut short, she will always be remembered, and she had some of the best lessons and advice on life that she lived by and encouraged. If you can think of anymore lessons from Marilyn Monroe, feel free to share!