Top 10 Benefits of Honey for Skin and Hair

Honey is considered as the greatest gift nature has bestowed upon us. It has been used throughout the history for remedies of various types.

This guest post was written by Chetana, an amateur makeup artist from India. She is completely addicted to makeup & beauty, especially the colour play and the process involved.

The beauty and health benefits of honey have been known to the mankind since centuries. It is believed that the Egyptian Princess Cleopatra, world’s most beautiful woman of that time, would bathe herself in honey and milk.

Honey is also used in cosmetic and skin care industries for its cleansing and moisturizing properties. Honey contains 80% of sugar and the rest 20% consists of nutrients like iron, calcium, phosphorus and Vitamin C, B and magnesium. This magical potion contains anti septic and anti-microbial properties which speeds up the healing process.

This property of honey prevents the growth of bacteria by producing enzymes which prevent bacterial infections.

Thus, honey is often utilized as a natural treatment for wounds, cuts and, burnt skin and abrasion to promote healing.

1. It fights infections

Honey fights infections even below the top layer of the skin by unclogging pores and cleaning the impurities lodged in this layer. The active properties of honey penetrate the blocked follicle and kill the bacteria which cause acne and pimples.

2. It’s a humecant

Honey is a humectant, which makes it an effective moisturizer and is often used in the skin and hair care products for its moisturizing properties.

It attracts water and retains it in the skin, keeping the skin smooth and supple. It also protects the skin from dryness and premature wrinkles.

3. It can cure eczema


Manuka honey is also known to cure eczema by treating damaged skin and regenerating new cells. It is often used in the production of creams and ointments to cure eczema and other form of dermatitis.

It supports the skin’s ability to rejuvenate and refresh depleted skin layers.

4. It’s a source of anti-oxidants

Honey is a great source of anti-oxidant which plays an immensely important role in protecting the skin from harsh ultra violet rays. Over exposure to sun rays can damage the skin, cause premature aging and can even cause skin cancer.

Thus consumption of honey can protect the skin internally from these free radicals that cause skin damage.

5. Use it as a skin conditioner


Honey is an excellent skin conditioner which can give you a healthy and glowing skin. Mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of honey and half teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub this mixture on every part of the body and leave it for 10 minutes.

Rinse it off with water to get a silky smooth skin. Use honey along with turmeric to lighten the skin tone and pimple marks.

6. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties

Honey works extremely well on oily skin that is prone to breakout due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It absorbs excess sebum from the skin and reduces the chances of developing skin infection and boils.

Mix 1 teaspoon of fuller’s earth with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Make a fine paste of all these ingredients and apply it all over the face. Then leave it for 20 minutes or till it dries and then wash it off.

7. It’s great for hair

Honey is a great hair conditioner and softens and smoothens the hair. It improves the health of the hair follicles and the scalp at the same time. Add a teaspoon of honey to your shampoo or use honey by itself to treat rough and coarse hair.

Put a plastic cap over the hair for 20 to 30 minute to let the body heat optimize the conditioning benefits of honey.

8. It can prevent hair loss


It is quite a lesser known fact that honey can also help to prevent hair loss. It contains humectant which prevents hair loss by preventing the loss of moisture. The high sugar content of honey helps to retain moisture, which in turn maintains the moisture content of the hair and strengthens the hair follicles.

9. It has antiseptic and anti-bacterial qualities

The antiseptic and anti-bacterial qualities of honey keep the scalp clean. It also prevents fungal infection or psoriasis on the scalp. This further reduces the risk of developing dandruff and itchy scalp.

10. It’s amazing for dry hair

Increased exposure to sun and pollution often makes the hair lifeless and dull. You can easily bring back the lost sheen by applying a honey hair mask. Mix 2 tablespoon of honey with two cups of warm water and rinse your hair with it post shampooing. You will get lustrous and shiny hair.

So, what are waiting for? Reap the numerous skin and hair benefits of honey by religiously using it in your beauty regimen! Do share your views with us.

Reference: Style Craze: 7 Benefits and Uses of Honey

Cover photo:

About the author



Click here to post a comment