9 Health Benefits of Watermelon
Nothing can be more refreshing and energizing on a hot summer day than a cool, sweet, juicy and crunchy wedge of a watermelon. But besides being sweetly fresh, watermelon is also loaded with plenty of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants proven to have numerous positive effects on the human body and mind.
Given below are some of the most amazing and stunning health benefits of watermelon.
1. Nutritional Value of a Watermelon
This delicious thirst quenching fruit is packed with health benefiting nutrients.
- 1 cup (5.4 oz) of diced watermelon contains 46 calories, 92% water, 12 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of protein, and 2% of the daily value of fiber. It contains no fat and no cholesterol, and it has only 2 grams of sodium.
- It is an excellent source of vitamins C, A and B. 1 cup, in fact, provides 21% of the daily value of vitamin C, and 18% of the daily value of vitamin A!
- Watermelon is rich in potassium (4.8% DV per cup) and contains also other important minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous in traces.
- It also contains enzymes, organic acids and natural sugars, but above all it is extremely rich in antioxidants.
2. Watermelon Antioxidants
Watermelon is an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidant flavonoids such as lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin. These powerful antioxidants defend our body against free radicals, which are considered to be a major cause of aging and disease.
Watermelon contains the highest concentrations of lycopene among all fruits and vegetables (4532 mcg/100 g). This incredible antioxidant has an exceptional ability to fight free radicals that cause several types of cancer and is also very effective in preventing numerous heart diseases.
Lycopene helps also neutralize free radicals that can lead to inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, asthma, strokes and heart attacks. It minimizes UV damage to skin cells, and protects skin against many harmful and toxic air pollutants.
3. Watermelon Hydrating Benefits
Watermelon is 92% water and is rich in electrolytes. It helps the body replace fluids and minerals lost through sweating, while reducing the risk of dehydration. It is an excellent fruit to quench summer thirst.
4. Detoxifying and Diuretic Effects
Watermelon is diuretic and it helps the body flush out harmful toxins. It purifies liver, stimulates kidney function and reduces uric acid levels in the blood.
5. Energy Boosting Properties
Watermelon is a rich source of vitamins B6 and B1, and minerals like magnesium and potassium, which are natural energy boosters.
6. Immunity Strengthening
An important health benefit of watermelon lies in its high content of vitamin C, lycopene, and other powerful antioxidants. All these compounds have an excellent ability to ward off illnesses, protect our bodies against free radical damage, and strengthen the immune system, while increasing our natural defenses.
7. Protection Against Macular Degeneration
Lycopene and vitamin A contained in watermelon are very important compounds for eye health. They help us maintain good eyesight, while providing protection against macular degeneration and other eye related problems.
8. High Blood Pressure and Heart Health
- Potassium and magnesium found in watermelons, as well as the presence of an amino acid known as citrulline, can help lower high blood pressure and improve the overall cardiovascular function.
- Lypocene, beta carotene, and vitamin C can help reduce cholesterol and prevent many cardiac problems.
9. Enhanced Sexual Function
Watermelon is the richest source of an amino acid known as citruline. Our bodies use citruline to create arginine, another amino acid that is necessary for the production of nitric oxide.
Nitric oxide is a chemical that helps relax blood vessels, improving in that way the sexual stamina and preventing erectile dysfunction. It is in fact an important component in the mechanism of erection.
Well, isn’t watermelon just amazing? It is succulent, juicy sweet and tasty, and provides an incredible number of fabulous health benefits. Why don’t you tell us about your own “watermelon experiences and tips.” You know what to do – just write in the comment section below!