What’s cool about the skirt you’ll wear this summer is that it can easily go with a fall outfit, too! Wear it with sandals or high heels these days, then switch to boots and tights in a few months and get the most out of this wardrobe must-have.
Pick a cute mini skirt in a darker wash for every occasion, or go lighter if you’re feeling super confidential. Go for a thicker fabric, as the ones with lots of elastene tend to look cheap. Experiment with length and find out what suits you best. Try the short one with metal or rhinestones for a rock-n-roll look, or the high-waisted, knee-length for a more work appropriate outfit.
Dark denim and bright shoes are a great combination, so for a stroll around town, you can’t go wrong with cute ballet flats in a rich color. If your top draws more attention, keep the shoes dark and understated.
- Ruffle Mid-waist A-line Solid Skirt Dark Blue (sheinside.com)
- Bloch Ballerina (zenggi.com)
- Seychelles Women’s Bonsai Ballet Flat (endless.com)
- Perennial Floral Flats (modcloth.com)
- Daniele Ancarani Ballet flats (yoox.com)
2. Cool Boots
Invest in a great pair of quality high boots, and wear them with a shorter skirt for the first days of autumn. Keep it flat, or go for a stable but lower heel. Try biker-chick boots. Fashion designers paired denim skirts with boots that look like you are about to go riding, so why not try the look that says “I love the outdoors?” Match with a casual long-sleeved shirt, a jacket or a soft cardigan and opaque tights for the colder days. If it’s raining, get some Wellingtons!
- Classic A&F used denim mini denim skirt (vestiairecollective.com)
- Frye Women’s Shoes, Celia Tall Boots (macys.com)
- MM6 by Maison Martin Margiela Tall Shearling Boot (lagarconne.com)
- Alberto Fasciani Biker boot (farfetch.com)
- Office Nutty knee Wellington (dogtooth office.co.uk)
Make the most of the summer with sandals, flats or high heels. The flat, shinny ones will work great with an outfit that says “I’m still on vacation,” while the heels will make your legs look great for a fun summer night in the town.
- Rosie Denim Mini (skirtbestseller.com)
- Braided T-Strap (sandalwetseal.com)
- Unisa metallic flat strappy gladiator style sandal (josephm.com)
- Alexander McQueen Sandal (couture.zappos.com)
Accentuate your waist with a Sixties-inspired, flared skirt. Match with a floral corset or a hippy top and high wedges.
- High Waist Mid Skater Skirt (missselfridge.com)
- Casadei Beige Crisscross Suede Wedge Sandals (stylebop.com)
- Charlotte Olympia ‘Music Note’ Pump (nordstrom.com)
- Chloe Red Leather Wedges (ssense.com)
If you’re into experimenting with different styles, pair your denim skirt with trendy ankle-high booties. Match with an asymetrical or off-the-shoulder top and a dark blazer.
- DSquared2 ‘Gonna’ Denim mini skirt (farfetch.com)
- Rupert Sanderson High Heel Platform Booties (rupertsanderson.com)
- Jeffrey Campbell Lita Brown Platform Ankle Boots (jades24.com)
Feeling like a kid? Give your outfit a teenage twist with cute sneakers. Converse Hi-Tops or Low-Tops go great with denim of any form, or try printed plimsolls. Keep the top simple, go with a trendy light color or a summer print.
- Women Denim Mini Skirt (uniqlo.com)
- Converse Sneakers Classic Black (welikefashion.com)
- Vans `Authentic Lo Pro` Plimsoles (Amaranth Purple) (chemical-records.co.uk)
- Office Androquai lace up pump grey jersey (office.co.uk)