Oily skin is basically caused by overactive sebaceous glands that secrete excessive amounts of sebum, which can sometimes lead to further skin disorders such as acne, blemishes, and zits. However, there are many ways and methods to restore a clean and healthy skin and prevent the appearance of unattractive pimples. Listed below are 6 top tips on how to get rid of oily skin.
1. Wash Your Face Twice a Day
To reduce the amount of excess sebum, wash your face twice a day with hot water, using a gel cleanser designed specifically for oil removal.
- Don’t wash your skin too frequently, for it will take away its natural moisture, causing it to produce even more sebum.
- Hot water acts as a sebum solvent and can assist in removing excess oil from your skin.
- If you suffer from acne, choose a face wash containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.
2. Use Water-based and Oil-free Skin Care Products
Water-based skin care products don’t contain oil and they can help control the amount of sebum on your face, meaning that they won’t add more oil onto your skin or clog your pores.
- Avoid alcohol-based toners, as they will dry out your face and trigger increased sebum production.
- Use astringent toners such as witch hazel or freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply them twice a day after having washed your face.
- Use mattifying lotions and oil-free moisturizers, or those containing Glycolic acid, which acts as natural moisturizer and skin exfoliator.
- To reduce the oily appearance, you can even apply a tiny amount of baby talc on your face.
- Always carry astringent and oil absorbing tissues with you. Use them whenever you feel your face looks too oily.
3. Don’t Use a Lot of Liquid Makeup
Opt for powder-based cosmetic products that will help absorb excess oil, giving your face a matte look. Liquid makeup can clog up your pores and cause blemishes.
If you however decide to apply liquid foundation, concealer, blush, or eye-shadow, go for water-based cosmetics only, or choose medicated makeup that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.
4. Exfoliate and Apply Oil Absorbing Face Masks
Exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin cells, open up your pores and remove excess oil. Pores which have been clogged by excess oil can often cause acne.
Clay masks can also be very effective in reducing the amount of sebum on your face, as they have the capacity to open up the pores and clean them out. This can greatly help you get rid of oily skin.
Try also adding a few drops of tea tree oil to your scrubs and masks. It has excellent astringent, disinfectant, antiseptic and anti bacterial properties.
5. Change Your Dietary Habits
Watch what you eat! To get rid of oily skin, you absolutely need to follow a healthy and appropriate diet.
In other words, you should avoid oily and fatty foods and eat more vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean protein.
6. Reduce Stress
Stress can cause hormonal imbalances in the body and trigger the over-activity of sebaceous glands.
To get rid of oily skin, you should therefore work on reducing your stress levels as much as possible. Exercising regularly and practicing relaxation techniques, such as meditation and yoga, can be of great help. You’ll be surprised at how much your skin will benefit from it!
As you can see, there are many efficient ways to get rid of oily skin. If you follow all of the above mentioned tips, you will surely manage to achieve a healthy and clean skin. Please share your own tips and tricks with us, and let us know what you think of this post by using the comment section below.