The following is a list of 8 morning sickness natural remedies, which can be very useful in alleviating the unbearable feelings of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Try them!
This article is meant to provide information only. Please, consult your doctor first, before taking any natural remedy or herbal supplement during pregnancy.
Eating the right food and following specific dietary habits can considerably help you deal with morning sickness. Check out the following tips!
- Eat frequent small meals or snacks throughout the day. An empty stomach can contribute to the feeling of nausea, while large meals can be difficult to digest.
- Avoid fried and fatty foods – they are hard to digest and they can intensify nausea symptoms.
- Keep some crackers near your bed. Try eating a few as soon as you open your eyes, or during the night if necessary. An empty tummy can often cause morning sickness.
- Don’t drink and eat at the same time.
- Drink plenty of water and other liquids – dehydration can lead to nausea and cause dry mouth, dizziness and muscle cramps. Try to always replace minerals, sugars and fluids lost through vomiting, by drinking lots of fresh juices, soups and plain water.
Ginger is an excellent morning sickness natural remedy that has been used for centuries to treat different types of nausea symptoms. It is generally recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration. The recommended dose is 1 gram (2 teaspoons) of powdered ginger or 3g of raw ginger (about three teaspoons) per day.
To beat the morning sickness, prepare a tea by steeping 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger in 1 cup of boiled water. Let cool, strain and sip. If you are using fresh ginger, allow 2 teaspoons of grated ginger root to boil in 1 cup of water for 15 to 20 minutes before drinking.
Consult your doctor if taking ginger for more than 3 weeks, for it may affect your blood-clotting mechanism.
The aroma and flavor of peppermint can also help relieve morning sickness symptoms.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil – pour 2 drops on a handkerchief or add a few drops into a bowl filled with warm water that you can place near your bed. Aromatherapy diffusers are also very efficient.
- Prepare peppermint tea and combine it with chamomile and lemon balm.
- You can also chew fresh mint leaves or buy sugar-free peppermint sweets and chewing gums.
Fennel and licorice
These are great nausea remedies. Try drinking fennel tea or using natural licorice drops or bars.
Taking vitamin B6 supplements may help cure morning sickness. The recommended dose is 75 milligrams per day (10 to 25 milligrams three times a day). However, always talk to your doctor before taking extra B6 together with prenatal vitamins, for in some cases large doses of vitamin B6 may not be totally safe.
Try consuming also vitamin B6 rich foods, such as avocado, chicken, turkey, fish (cod, salmon, halibut, trout, tuna and snapper), bell peppers, spinach, baked potatoes, and other.
Acupressure and Wrist Bands
Acupressure wrist bands stimulate a specific acupuncture point, which Traditional Chinese Medicine experts call the P6 Nei-Guan (Nei-Kuan) point or Pericardium 6.
This point relieves nausea in general and helps pregnancy morning sickness. It can be either massaged by applying pressure with your fingers, or stimulated with a wrist band.
The P6 Nei-Guan point is located underside of your arm, up to 3 fingers above the wrist. When pressing deeply into this point, you will feel a slight soreness that will indicate you have found the right location. Once you’ve found it, hold the pressure for up to 60 seconds and repeat whenever it is necessary.
Instead of pressing the P6 Nei-Guan point by yourself, you can also apply wrist bands, which are very effective. Just make sure that the band button is placed exactly on the acupoint and press it 20 to 30 times at one second intervals, whenever you feel sick.
Wrist bands can be found at any drugstore, as they are made for seasickness, motion sickness and many other types of nausea.
Let us know if you know some more natural remedies for morning sickness that you have tried and found effective!