Keeping your liver healthy, clean and happy is therefore of extreme importance for your well-being. So, why not give it a chance to work better and improve! Read below to discover a few important steps and tips on how to cleanse your liver and detox your whole body.
Change Your Diet
Liver filters toxins and other harmful substances out of the blood, while storing important nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and glucose, for future use, or until body requires them. It is the most important organ in the metabolism of foods and has many other vital functions in the human body.
Eating unhealthy foods can overwhelm the liver’s ability to function properly, regenerate itself, and purify the bloodstream.
Let’s take a look at some dietary habits that you should absolutely change and others that you should introduce, in order to cleanse your liver and keep it healthy.
What to avoid:
- Avoid all processed foods overloaded with chemicals, preservatives and additives.
- Say no to any kind of fried foods.
- Alcohol, coffee and cigarettes are absolutely off limits.
- Eliminate high-fat foods, oily dressings and greasy meat.
- Get rid of hydrogenated oils.
- Avoid high fat diary products, including milk, cheese, butter, sour cream, and yogurt.
- Limit sugar and all products containing sugar, as well as artificial sweeteners.
- Reduce or limit the intake of foods that contain gluten – wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut and wheat starch.
- Eliminate foods containing Monosodium glutamate (MSG) – read product labels!
- Reduce products containing yeast.
What to eat:
- Bitter leafy vegetables, especially chicory, dandelion, endive, rocket – they help expel toxins, while promoting the secretion of bile, the substance that removes waste from our body.
- Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage) contain phytonutrients that support liver detoxification by increasing the liver’s enzyme production.
- Artichokes – they regulate liver functioning and prevent liver diseases.
- Garlic – one of the best Natural Antibiotic to Fight Infections. It helps reduce levels of fat in the liver and it is also rich in sulfur-containing compounds that promote liver detoxification.
- Beetroot – this vegetable has blood-purifying properties, as well as the ability to absorb heavy metals.
- Eat antioxidant fruits such as prunes, raisons, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, oranges, pink grapefruit, cantaloupe, apples and pears. They are excellent free radical fighters and they increase the natural cleansing processes of the liver.
- Avocados contain powerful compounds that may reduce liver damage. They help our body produce glutathione, which is required by the liver to eliminate harmful toxins.
- Turmeric, also known as curcuma, enhances liver function and protects it against harmful effects of toxins and chemicals.
Drink Purifying Herbal Teas
Get into the habit of regularly drinking detox teas. They will help you cleanse your liver and flush toxins out of the body. Drink them always on an empty stomach, at least 3 cups a day.
The following is the list of some of the liver-friendly herbs to use for preparing purifying decoctions and infusions.
- Milk thistle (Silybum marianum)
It is one of the best herbs to treat liver problems and improve liver function. Its active substance silymarin and its most important flavonoid known as silybin, are the most prescribed natural chemicals to cure liver diseases.
- Burdock root (Arctium lappa)
Promotes healthy liver function and acts as a blood purifier and liver cleanser. It is also very useful in treating many skin disorders and kidney problems.
- Dandalion (Taraxacum officinale)
This bitter herb has been used for centuries to cleanse liver. It contains choline, a great liver stimulant, and fiber that helps absorb and carry toxins out of the body. It is also a good natural diuretic, rich in potassium.
- Nettle (Urtica dioica)
It is a very good liver and kidney cleanser. It removes toxins from the body, strengthens the immune system and improves blood circulation.
- Chicory root (Cichorium intybus)
Chicory root is also a great liver stimulant that contains many cleansing compounds. It is very useful in treating liver disorders and in ridding the body of toxins.
Take Liver-friendly Dietary Supplements and Vitamins
It is the active ingredient of milk thistle. It repairs liver cells and protects them against toxins, chemicals, medicines and heavy metals. It is very useful in treating different liver diseases, as well serious liver damages caused by alcohol.
B vitamins, such as B12, B5, B6 and folic acid, are of vital importance for proper liver functioning. They promote liver decongestion by helping our body metabolize fats.
Vitamins A, C, and E
- Vitamin A can help detoxify sluggish and fatty liver and reduce liver fibrosis.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that supports liver cell activity and prevents and reduces fatty buildup.
- Vitamin E helps fight liver diseases and protects liver against oxidation. It is also necessary for the absorption of vitamin A.
If sincerely advice you to always take good care of your liver and to cleanse regularly, for it will greatly benefit your overall health on a long term basis.
If you know some other efficient purifying remedies and techniques, please share them with us. Leave a comment bellow and let other readers discover new ways to keep their bodies clean and healthy.