Having healthy, shiny, and silky hair is a dream of every woman. Pollution, hair dyes, electric curlers, straightening irons, perms, blow dryers, over-exposure to sun, wind and chlorinated water, are just some of the factors that can contribute to the loss of shine and moisture and make your hair look frizzy, brittle, and dry.
Fortunately, there are many ways to repair damaged hair without paying for expensive salon treatments. Read on to discover 10 effective home remedies for dry hair and learn how easy it is to have the hair you’ve always dreamed of.
1. Egg Treatment
This is perhaps one of the oldest remedies for dry hair. Egg is a good source of protein and lecithin, which strengthen and repair your hair by adding moisture, shine, and texture to it.
How to treat your dry hair with eggs:
1. Mix 3 eggs with 2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil. Add 1 tablespoon honey, stir well and apply this mixture to damp hair and scalp. Cover with a shower cap and leave on for 30 minutes. Then rinse with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
2. Beat 2 eggs together, add half cup of full-fat yogurt, and 11/2 tablespoons of almond oil. Stir well until it turns creamy. Massage this mixture into your scalp and hair, cover with a towel or a shower cap, and leave it on for about half an hour. Then shampoo as usual using lukewarm water.
3. Beat 3 eggs and combine them with 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil and apply the mixture to your hair and scalp. Cover and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash and shampoo your hair as normal.
2. Hot Oil Treatments
Hot oil is one of the best home remedies for dry hair. Natural oils, such as coconut, olive, castor, almond, lanolin, or corn oil are excellent treatments for adding shine and restoring moisture to dry, damaged, and brittle hair. With hot oil treatments you will nourish your hair, promote healthy hair growth, avoid hair breakage, and prevent any further damage.
You can use the above- mentioned oils alone, or prepare your own mixture of different oils. For better results, add a few drops of lavender, rosemary, lemon, chamomile, geranium, birch, carrot, sage, or yarrow essential oil to the mixture. They will enhance the effects of the oil treatment and add more shine and moisture to your hair.
1. Gently heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over low heat, until it becomes warm, but not too hot. Massage the oil into your hair and scalp, making sure to cover every part of your hair. Cover with a shower cap, and then wrap with a hot towel. The heat will open the pores, and allow the oil to deeply penetrate your hair and scalp.
Leave the treatment on for at least 20 minutes or overnight. Rinse with lukewarm water using your regular shampoo.
You can adjust the amount according to the length of your hair.
3. Honey Hair Mask
Honey is another great home remedy for dry hair.
Honey has the ability to trap moisture in your hair, leaving it soft, shiny, and nourished.
1. Apply half cup of honey to freshly washed, damp hair and gently massage it into your scalp and hair strands. Cover with a shower cap and leave the treatment on for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
2. If your hair is extremely dry and damaged, you can add either half an avocado, or a tablespoon of coconut oil, or an egg yolk to the honey, in order to make the treatment more effective. Another good trick is to mix some honey with your regular shampoo.
4. Avocado and Banana Treatment
Avocado contains healing nutrients that will deeply moisture and nourish your hair, leaving it healthy and strong.
Banana prevents split ends, and softens and improves the elasticity of your hair.
Avocado and banana mixed together will therefore make a perfect home remedy for damaged and dry hair.
1. Mash 1 banana and 1 avocado together and add ½ tablespoon of almond oil. Massage the puree into your scalp and spread it all over your hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and leave the treatment on for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
5. Mayonnaise Treatment
Full-fat mayonnaise is another excellent home remedy. It works miracles on hair as it makes it extremely shiny, soft, and healthy looking.
1. Massage ½ cup mayonnaise into your hair and scalp, cover with a shower cap, and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
6. Gelatin Hair Pack
Gelatin is an excellent source of protein, and protein is very important in treating damaged, distressed and dry hair.
Gelatin restores protein and moisture to the hair, which makes it a perfect treatment for strong and healthy hair growth.
1. Combine 1 tablespoon of gelatin with 1 cup of warm water and stir until completely melted. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and a few drops of lavender, rosemary or lemon essential oil. Mix well and apply the mixture to your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
7. Aloe Vera Moisturizing Treatment
Aloe vera contains ingredients that have excellent moisturizing properties, which can greatly benefit your hair. Aloe vera treatment will make dry hair become soft, lustrous, and shiny.
1. Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons of Aloe vera gel with 11/2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt and mix well. Apply the mixture to the hair and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash your hair as usual.
8. Beer Hair Tonic
Beer is an excellent hair tonic as it ads body, shine, strength and vitality to your hair. This amazing beverage contains vitamin B and proteins that help repair dry, dull, and damaged hair, while deeply nourishing hair follicles.
1. Wash your hair and while it’s still wet, use a spray bottle to spritz a small amount of beer all over your hair. After blow drying, the smell of beer will disappear, leaving your hair sleek, smooth and glowing.
9. Essential Oils for Dry Hair
The main cause of dry hair is the lack of moisture and sebum. When your scalp doesn’t produce enough natural oil, or sebum, your hair becomes dry, brittle, split and prone to breakage.
Some essential oils have the capacity to stimulate the sebaceous glands in the scalp, and thereby reduce dryness and give your hair a beautiful glow.
Some of the best essential oils for dry hair include: lavender, bay, rosemary, lemon, chamomile, geranium, sandalwood, birch, parsley leaf, rosewood, carrot, palmarosa, and yarrow essential oil.
1. A very efficient home remedy for dry hair is to mix 4 drops of any of the above-mentioned essential oils with 6 tablespoons of carrier oil, such as wheat germ, coconut, almond, castor, sesame, or avocado oil. You should then warm up the oil mixture and gently massage it into your scalp and hair with small circular motions, using your fingertips. For best results, it is good to do it for at least 10 minutes and then cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the treatment on for 1 hour or overnight.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar Conditioner
Apple cider vinegar is a fabulous hair conditioner that leaves your hair clean, soft, shiny, and moisturized. It removes the build- up residue of shampoos and other hair products, such as sprays and gels, which coat your hair and scalp, causing it to look dull. Vinegar will also help restore the natural pH balance of your scalp and prevent itching and dandruff, which often occurs under dry- scalp conditions.
1. Mix ½ cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water and apply it to your hair after washing it. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, and then rinse out thoroughly. This will give extra shine to your hair!
Daily Hair Care Tips and Tricks for Dry Hair
If you wish to keep your hair healthy, shiny, and strong and prevent or reduce dryness, you should pay great attention to your daily hair care routine.
1. Avoid harsh shampoos and chemicals that can damage and dry out your hair. Personally, I recommend you to get either L’Oreal’s EverPure Sulfate-Free Moisture Shampoo or Avalon Organics Peppermint Shampoo.
2. Do not shampoo too often. It causes hair dryness.
3. Dry hair is fragile. When you wash and massage your hair, don’t do it with your nails, but use your finger tips. Nails will irritate your scalp and cause your hair to break.
4. Condition your hair regularly. A good conditioner for dry hair will nourish and moisturize your hair and protect it from splitting. If your hair is extremely dry, you may also leave the conditioner on overnight. Aubrey Organics’ Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner has worked best for me so far.
5. Trim off split ends to prevent them from spreading up the hair strand.
6. Avoid chemical hair dyes, permanent colorings, electric curling irons, hair straighteners, hot rollers, perms, and blow dryers that are too hot. Whenever possible, allow your hair to dry naturally.
7. Chlorinated water can be extremely harmful for your hair and cause it to become very dry hair. Never swim without a cap.
8. Be gentle with you hair and always brush it carefully and delicately. Dry hair is fragile and prone to breakage, and rough combing can cause it fall out or break.
Natural bristle brushes are the best choice for dry and damaged hair. I can recommend my Spornette DeVille brush, which uses 100% Boar Bristles and has proven to be durable sofar.
9. Don’t overexpose your hair to sun, as it will dry it out. Wear a hat whenever you can or apply protective creams, lotions, and balms before exposure to the sun.
10. When choosing hair products, make sure they contain moisturizing ingredients, natural oils, and fruit extracts that are suitable for dry hair.
Diet Tips for Dry Hair
Keeping your hair healthy from the inside out will reduce dryness, and make your it look healthy, soft and shiny.
Try eating plenty of foods or take dietary supplements that contain zinc, Biotin, vitamin C, vitamin E, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Don’t forget to drink plenty of water as it helps your body expel various harmful substances and toxins that can cause your hair to become dry and brittle. And apart from this, water hydrates!
Taking good care of your hair, eating a healthy diet, and regularly applying the above- described hair treatments will make your hair look beautiful and healthy and prevent it from drying out. That is pretty much it! No need to go to expensive beauty salons or spend your money for overrated hair products!
If you like this post, don’t forget to share it with your friends!
64 thoughts on Is Your Hair Dry Like Sand? 10 Proven Home Remedies That Can Help
Thank u for all the advices for the hair repair.Very helpfull
thanks for giving such a good suggestion
thank u very much ,fr ol ur tips i will certainly make it my routin, i too hve dry hair ,i hope ill hve healthy hair soon.
thanks for the tips … I almost got to the point where unwanted to shave my hair off.
Thanks soooo much I am sure I will do a treatment with the ingriedients that I have and I hope I will have super healthy hair soon cus I straighten my hair alot
Thanks for the very helpful information.
Really nyc advice…thnx…
THANK YOU!!!! this advice is very very very helpful!:)
The day I wash my hair my hair is very dull n dry but the second it becomes shinier n better…why does it happen??and is there any way to avoid this??
This is happening because, once you wash your hair, its strips out all of the natural oils. The second day, the natural oils “come back” so to speak, and it naturally moisturizers it…I would recommend only washing your hair once a week, and using a dry shampoo every other day. Therefore, your hair wont look greasy, and it is still soft. You might want to use a hair serum when washing your hair..Hope this helps.!!
Awesome !!! I tried one and it gave me good results !!! Thanx :)
How often this treatment has to be done?a week?a month?When i wash my hair they become more dry and I got too many splitends. Please help me to get rid of splitends and to have shining,soft, healthy hair
I have extremely weak.. oily hair..
which turn oily the very next day of shampooing..
Also.. It has lost all its sheen and softness.. :/ :/ And keep falling out..
You should go a solid week without washing it. Which will be really gross, but once you wash it on th seventh day your hair becomes less oily. Washing your hair too much hurts it. Oily hair is good for it.
I am a guy with shiny hair, but its texture is as rough as sand. How is it possible for me to smoothen its texture and strengthen the hair at the same time.
Thank You So Muuch For The Advices..I’ll Try Em Out :)
But My Hairs Are Falling Out,And I’ve Lost A Great Deal Of Hair,While Combing,Washing..Could You Please Tell Me The Solutions And Also Some Tips For My Hair To Grow Quickly,Strongle And Beautifully ?
Wow! I really like your article . I’ll try them out . However, av got very less & soft hair , when i relaxed , they became too soft and fragile and i hardly comb because most hair will pull out . Please advice
I used to have very healthy hair as a child, through the years it has changed drastically. It is now much more curly than before & in some parts drier than others, thanks for the remedies, I will try some of them.
wow …..very gud ideas
Thank you so much for your advice. When you say to make oil treatments or honey do I have to wash my hair before or shall I do it on dry hair pls?
Is a shower cap necessary? Or can you just pile your hair up on top of your head and sit like that…?
i just love this.now my hair is much softer.THANK U
thank u so much ill apply it.i hope i get my hairs lovely………
I HATE my hair it used to be nice but now it’s dry falls out and I have lost like 5inches of hair I don’t know whether to trusts this or not but ill try them thx bye
I mixed these together and it worked awesome on my hair
Left it on my hair for 2 hours then washed as normal and my hair is super soft now (-:
With water..?? or Shampooo???
thanks a lot .. ! i am gonna try this out .. !
What would be the best treatment for dry, weak hair?
Do any of these treatments help your hair grow any faster?
Woahhh! These look so cool. In winter I used to make a mixture of 1 whole egg and 1 lemon. My hair turned out thick and soft and shinny. Now it is summer and I tried doing it but my hair turned out frizzy and dry. My mom told me it is because of the humidity. I have a really nice event (it could be tomorrow or after tomorrow) and I want my hair to be shiny and soft. I live in Egypt so I don’t have any coconut oil or almond oil or avocado or that kinda stuff. I have olive oil but extra virgin can I use that? Thanks!
You say you live in Egypt and there are no oils??? They have some of the best oils if you go to a spices shop they will have all the oils you are looking for.
I definatly tried the yogert one hopeing it’ll help my hair used to be so pretty amd shiny now its dull dry and brittle :( here’s crossing my fingers all ik is it smelled yummy lol
Thank you very much, am a nigerian and I have very short and thick hair, I don’t any of this oil , all I have is eggs , lemon , conditioner , banana… Will it help my hair to grow fast , shiny and beautiful ?..I need your answer please …
my hair is extremely dry and coarse.. honey plus coconut oil definitly helped.. thanx babe :)
Which remedy is the best one for dry damaged hair??
I HAVE DRY HAIR THAT IS THICK TANGLED AND NOT VERY SHINY OR STRONG ITS VERY SHORT AND FALLS OUT WHAT DO I DO? ITS ALSO DAMAGED VERY DAMAGED PLEASE HELP!!
Your advice rocked!!! Thanks so very much :D
These advices are really good! Thank you.
I just tried the mayo big diff.
Wow. Will try one soon… thanks for the tips.
Try putting mayo with olive oil or coconut oil. it worked wonders for me from the very first time. hope it helps:)
Thanx a heap for such wonderful tips !
I tried the hot oil treatment & the egg mask one.
My hair were like dry grass due to constant dyeing from years.Now its 75% better , softer n healthier !
Awesome tips..i will try it soon..thankss a lott
I tried the apple cider viniger one but i mixed apple cider viniger,honey,milk(2%),and water.Then i sprayed it in my hair leaved in for 15to20 min.then washed and conditioned as usual!REALLY WORKS!!!!!!! (:
thank you so much as your tips have really helped me especially the essential oil n honey mask.As I have coloured my hair permanently so please help me how to take care of my hair.
Home remedies are the best ! I have very stubborn grays and therefore I have found myself dyeing my hair a lot lately so my hair has become dry and dull .. I hate it ! I am trying the mayonnaise as I type this .. Hope it works !
Hia my hair is extreamly damaged due to bleaching, i would like to know what should I do to replenish my hair ????
I read an article from the magazine that egg yolk is good for dry and damaged hair
thanks for ur tip…i wish its helpful for my dry hair
thank u for ur advice
I have mixed eggyolk , olive oil, honey and mayo today, kept it for 40 min.
Thanks for giving me this great advice I AM SO HAPPY TOO FALLOW THIS RULES••••••••••••
I had got my hair rebonded 2 months back.It was the seocnd time I got my hair rebonded. But after few days only my hair started breaking off an inch above the roots. Can you please suggest me any home remedy which will stop it form further damage. I am regularly taking hair spa. Please help…
really good and moreover effective and worth benificial… tonnes of thanx !
Will try putting everything into practice. Thanks a lot.
Thanks Im a huge surfer and my hair is super dry and sun bleached. The egg,honey and oil treatment really helped my hair. Thanks :)
i like the tips wich have been given …………….. tips are easily followed at home …………. thank u for this tips
Awesome tips,really good and moreover effective,very good ideas,wow
I have very curly, frizzy hair, and it has been a challenge for me to find products that reduce frizz while not making my hair feel “crunchy.” My hair dresser started using the Shielo Restoration Oil in my hair after I dry it – and the result is very smooth curls. I really like the Shielo Oil and it smells delicious. I would recommend for anyone with dry or curly hair.
Does the raw really work in your hair ?!
My hair is extremely dry in the middle. It’s very short there too. I use cold organic coconut oil in that area and the next day it’ll still be dry. Will heating the coconut oil make it better?
my hair was so damage