Having healthy, shiny, and silky hair is a dream of every woman. Pollution. Hair dyes. Curlers and straightening irons. Perms, blow dryers, over-exposure to sun. These are just some of the factors that take away your hair’s shine and moisture and make it frizzy, brittle, and dry. But you can win this battle. And here’s how!
Fortunately, there are many ways to repair damaged hair without paying for expensive salon treatments. Read on to discover 10 effective home remedies for dry hair and learn how easy it is to have the hair you’ve always dreamed of.
This is perhaps one of the oldest remedies for dry hair. Egg is a good source of protein and lecithin, which strengthen and repair your hair by adding moisture, shine, and texture to it.
1. Mix 3 eggs with 2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil. Add 1 tablespoon honey, stir well and apply this mixture to damp hair and scalp. Cover with a shower cap and leave on for 30 minutes. Then rinse with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
2. Beat 2 eggs together, add half cup of full-fat yogurt, and 11/2 tablespoons of almond oil. Stir well until it turns creamy. Massage this mixture into your scalp and hair, cover with a towel or a shower cap, and leave it on for about half an hour. Then shampoo as usual using lukewarm water.
3. Beat 3 eggs and combine them with 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil and apply the mixture to your hair and scalp. Cover and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash and shampoo your hair as normal.
Hot oil is one of the best home remedies for dry hair. Natural oils, such as coconut, olive, castor, almond, lanolin, or corn oil are excellent treatments for adding shine and restoring moisture to dry, damaged, and brittle hair. With hot oil treatments you will nourish your hair, promote healthy hair growth, avoid hair breakage, and prevent any further damage.
You can use the above- mentioned oils alone, or prepare your own mixture of different oils. For better results, add a few drops of lavender, rosemary, lemon, chamomile, geranium, birch, carrot, sage, or yarrow essential oil to the mixture. They will enhance the effects of the oil treatment and add more shine and moisture to your hair.
1. Gently heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over low heat, until it becomes warm, but not too hot. Massage the oil into your hair and scalp, making sure to cover every part of your hair. Cover with a shower cap, and then wrap with a hot towel. The heat will open the pores, and allow the oil to deeply penetrate your hair and scalp.
Leave the treatment on for at least 20 minutes or overnight. Rinse with lukewarm water using your regular shampoo.
You can adjust the amount according to the length of your hair.
Honey is another great home remedy for dry hair.
Honey has the ability to trap moisture in your hair, leaving it soft, shiny, and nourished.
1. Apply half cup of honey to freshly washed, damp hair and gently massage it into your scalp and hair strands. Cover with a shower cap and leave the treatment on for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
2. If your hair is extremely dry and damaged, you can add either half an avocado, or a tablespoon of coconut oil, or an egg yolk to the honey, in order to make the treatment more effective. Another good trick is to mix some honey with your regular shampoo.
Avocado contains healing nutrients that will deeply moisture and nourish your hair, leaving it healthy and strong.
Banana prevents split ends, and softens and improves the elasticity of your hair.
Avocado and banana mixed together will therefore make a perfect home remedy for damaged and dry hair.
1. Mash 1 banana and 1 avocado together and add ½ tablespoon of almond oil. Massage the puree into your scalp and spread it all over your hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and leave the treatment on for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
Full-fat mayonnaise is another excellent home remedy. It works miracles on hair as it makes it extremely shiny, soft, and healthy looking.
1. Massage ½ cup mayonnaise into your hair and scalp, cover with a shower cap, and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
Gelatin is an excellent source of protein, and protein is very important in treating damaged, distressed and dry hair.
Gelatin restores protein and moisture to the hair, which makes it a perfect treatment for strong and healthy hair growth.
1. Combine 1 tablespoon of gelatin with 1 cup of warm water and stir until completely melted. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and a few drops of lavender, rosemary or lemon essential oil. Mix well and apply the mixture to your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
Aloe vera contains ingredients that have excellent moisturizing properties, which can greatly benefit your hair. Aloe vera treatment will make dry hair become soft, lustrous, and shiny.
1. Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons of Aloe vera gel with 11/2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt and mix well. Apply the mixture to the hair and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash your hair as usual.
Beer is an excellent hair tonic as it ads body, shine, strength and vitality to your hair. This amazing beverage contains vitamin B and proteins that help repair dry, dull, and damaged hair, while deeply nourishing hair follicles.
1. Wash your hair and while it’s still wet, use a spray bottle to spritz a small amount of beer all over your hair. After blow drying, the smell of beer will disappear, leaving your hair sleek, smooth and glowing.
The main cause of dry hair is the lack of moisture and sebum. When your scalp doesn’t produce enough natural oil, or sebum, your hair becomes dry, brittle, split and prone to breakage.
Some essential oils have the capacity to stimulate the sebaceous glands in the scalp, and thereby reduce dryness and give your hair a beautiful glow.
Some of the best essential oils for dry hair include: lavender, bay, rosemary, lemon, chamomile, geranium, sandalwood, birch, parsley leaf, rosewood, carrot, palmarosa, and yarrow essential oil.
1. A very efficient home remedy for dry hair is to mix 4 drops of any of the above-mentioned essential oils with 6 tablespoons of carrier oil, such as wheat germ, coconut, almond, castor, sesame, or avocado oil. You should then warm up the oil mixture and gently massage it into your scalp and hair with small circular motions, using your fingertips. For best results, it is good to do it for at least 10 minutes and then cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the treatment on for 1 hour or overnight.
Apple cider vinegar is a fabulous hair conditioner that leaves your hair clean, soft, shiny, and moisturized. It removes the build- up residue of shampoos and other hair products, such as sprays and gels, which coat your hair and scalp, causing it to look dull. Vinegar will also help restore the natural pH balance of your scalp and prevent itching and dandruff, which often occurs under dry- scalp conditions.
1. Mix ½ cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water and apply it to your hair after washing it. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, and then rinse out thoroughly. This will give extra shine to your hair!
If you wish to keep your hair healthy, shiny, and strong and prevent or reduce dryness, you should pay great attention to your daily hair care routine.
1. Avoid harsh shampoos and chemicals that can damage and dry out your hair. Personally, I recommend you to get either L’Oreal’s EverPure Sulfate-Free Moisture Shampoo or Avalon Organics Peppermint Shampoo.
2. Do not shampoo too often. It causes hair dryness.
3. Dry hair is fragile. When you wash and massage your hair, don’t do it with your nails, but use your finger tips. Nails will irritate your scalp and cause your hair to break.
4. Condition your hair regularly. A good conditioner for dry hair will nourish and moisturize your hair and protect it from splitting. If your hair is extremely dry, you may also leave the conditioner on overnight. Aubrey Organics’ Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner has worked best for me so far.
5. Trim off split ends to prevent them from spreading up the hair strand.
6. Avoid chemical hair dyes, permanent colorings, electric curling irons, hair straighteners, hot rollers, perms, and blow dryers that are too hot. Whenever possible, allow your hair to dry naturally.
7. Chlorinated water can be extremely harmful for your hair and cause it to become very dry hair. Never swim without a cap.
8. Be gentle with you hair and always brush it carefully and delicately. Dry hair is fragile and prone to breakage, and rough combing can cause it fall out or break.
Natural bristle brushes are the best choice for dry and damaged hair. I can recommend my Spornette DeVille brush, which uses 100% Boar Bristles and has proven to be durable sofar.
9. Don’t overexpose your hair to sun, as it will dry it out. Wear a hat whenever you can or apply protective creams, lotions, and balms before exposure to the sun.
10. When choosing hair products, make sure they contain moisturizing ingredients, natural oils, and fruit extracts that are suitable for dry hair.
Keeping your hair healthy from the inside out will reduce dryness, and make your it look healthy, soft and shiny.
Try eating plenty of foods or take dietary supplements that contain zinc, Biotin, vitamin C, vitamin E, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Don’t forget to drink plenty of water as it helps your body expel various harmful substances and toxins that can cause your hair to become dry and brittle. And apart from this, water hydrates!
Taking good care of your hair, eating a healthy diet, and regularly applying the above- described hair treatments will make your hair look beautiful and healthy and prevent it from drying out. That is pretty much it! No need to go to expensive beauty salons or spend your money for overrated hair products!
If you like this post, don’t forget to share it with your friends!
Jessica is a translator who has lived for many years in Asia and South America. She now lives and works in Europe, while preparing her new journeys. She enjoys traveling, meeting new people, exploring different cultures and foods, and being in love.
There’s a difference between someone being imperfect and being very disrespectful. Here’re some relationship red flags to watch out for when dating someone.
Getting ready for a date can be quite nerve-wracking, which is why we decided to reveal you secret tips that will help you achieve the perfect date makeup.
Social media is here to stay but are your habits jeopardizing your relationship? It can be quite difficult to spot the signs. Read on to find out more.
You don’t become a clingy girlfriend overnight and you definitely won’t become less clingy in an instant. Learn how to be less clingy by reading our 9 tips.
Every woman wants to look and feel her best, but it takes time and practice to learn what works. We’ll teach you how to prepare for a date from head to toe.
Every woman likes to feel beautiful and there’s no better way to do it than to invest in the appearance of your skin. We’ll teach you how to get soft skin.
Discover the reasons why men like older women and why they find them sexier than the younger ones. Here are the top 10. Use them to your advantage!